Head of Communications
£50,000 - £55,000 per annum (depending on experience)
Download Job Description
We are looking for an experienced Communications professional ready for a new challenge. As Head of Communications, you will develop and implement a communications strategy to leverage the Youth Business International (YBI) brand in support of our ambitious vision and mission.
We are looking for an experienced Communications professional ready for a new challenge. As Head of Communications, you will develop and implement a communications strategy to leverage the Youth Business International (YBI) brand in support of our ambitious vision and mission. This is a new role for YBI, reflecting our commitment to deliver a step-change in profile and positioning.
You will lead all communications activity across our channels and leverage relationships with the media to promote YBI and the incredible work our network is doing around the world to our target audiences and stakeholders, including our members, current/prospective funders, the wider sector. You will shape and lead a small Communications Team and work closely with YBI’s Senior Management, the wider Network Team, and our members.
To thrive in this role, you will need a strategic mind and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get involved in execution. You will enjoy leading change and be excited at the prospect of fundamentally transforming YBI’s communications function. You will thrive on building relationships, mentoring and developing people, and working as part of a team. Alongside this, you will have brilliant story-telling skills; be well-versed in all things digital, and have an entrepreneurial, “can do” approach.
1. Strategy and management
- Review, refine and lead on YBI’s global communications and PR strategy to support the organisation’s vision and mission
- Develop and lead the Communications Team, including regular line management and support to ensure ongoing professional development
- Manage the Communications Team’s annual operational plan and budget
- Set and report on KPIs
2. External partnership communications
- Develop an impactful and executable media and PR strategy that positions and amplifies YBI’s voice with existing and target stakeholders
- Build relations with key media contacts – broadcast, national, local, and trade – and pitch relevant content
- Develop and ensure timely delivery of communications plans for YBI’s partners
- Lead engaging communications campaigns that profile YBI’s partnerships, ensuring the purpose and impact of our work and partnerships are clearly articulated
- Plan and support gathering of compelling content from across our global network, including audiovisual, photos, case studies, quotes
3. Membership communications
- Working with the Membership Team, set and co-lead our network communications plan
- Oversee our bi-monthly member newsletter
- Support Network Team colleagues on communications and marketing for key member services, e.g. annual Innovation Challenge and masterclasses
- Oversee content production for YBI’s digital community, our online platform for members
4. Campaigns and publications
- Develop and oversee communications campaigns that support YBI’s vision and mission and align with external events for the network such as International Women’s Day and Global Entrepreneurship Week
- Lead the production and publication of impactful, engaging on/offline content across all channels
- Oversee YBI’s website content strategy
- Oversee the development of YBI’s social media presence and increase engagement on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook
- Lead the development of corporate communications materials, including YBI’s annual impact report, flagship research reports, and regular partnership reports
5. Brand development and management
- Build the YBI brand and raise our profile with a focus on refining the messaging
- Develop brand guidelines, templates and other materials for Network Team colleagues and members as needed for their key audiences and stakeholders
- Lead on branding and marketing of YBI flagship events
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV (maximum 2 x A4) and a covering letter to HR@youthbusiness.org. Your covering letter (maximum 2 x A4) should:
- Explain why you want this job;
- Explain how your background and experience make you a suitable candidate – please use examples of specific projects and achievements;
- Show what relevant skills and knowledge you will bring, referring to the person specification;
- Confirm you have an existing right to work in the UK (we are unable to accept applications otherwise);
- Confirm where you saw this job advertised.
Closing date: Friday, 3rd July 2020 at 9:30 am
Interviews: w/c 6th July 2020
YBI is an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. We are committed to creating a diverse environment therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or ethnic or national origin. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments, due to a disability, to assist you in completing your application and/or participating in a selection test or attending an interview in the event that you are shortlisted.
At YBI, your right to privacy and confidentiality is important to us. By applying for this job, your information will be entered into our recruitment system for YBI’s employment purposes only and for no longer than one year after the post has been filled; then personal data will be disposed of in the GDPR compliant manner. We store all data securely and will not disclose it to any third parties without your consent. Please see our Data Protection Policy here to find out more.