Chair of Trustees
Download Job Description
The Chair will hold the Board and Senior Management Team to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of YBI. The Chair will also support, and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Senior Management Team of the charity to achieve agreed objectives. They will act as an ambassador for the charity in relation to the members and external stakeholders, as appropriate.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
1. Strategic leadership
- Provide leadership to the charity and its Board, ensuring that the Charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries
- Ensure that Trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the Charity
- Ensure that the Board operates within its charitable objectives, and provides a clear strategic direction for the Charity
- Ensure that the Board is able to regularly review major risks and associated opportunities, and satisfy itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities, and manage and mitigate the risks
- Ensure that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure sound financial health of the charity, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability
- Ensure that the governance arrangements are working in the most effective way for the Charity, including developing the knowledge and capability of the Board of Trustees, and regularly reviewing the performance of the Trustees and the Board on an annual basis
- Ensure that the Board of Trustees is regularly refreshed and incorporates the right balance of skills, knowledge and experience needed to govern and lead the charity effectively, and reflects YBI’s commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion.
- Work within any agreed policies adopted by the charity
- Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process
- Work closely with the Chief Executive to give direction to Board policymaking and to ensure that meetings are well planned, meaningful and reflect the responsibilities of trustees
- Build support for the organisation
- Support the CEO/staff in growing the organisation’s profile, influence and income, in particular in the corporate, institutional and entrepreneurial sphere
- Act as an ambassador for YBI’s cause and the charity, including at major internal or external events as appropriate
- Maintain close relationships with key stakeholders and influencers
- Foster strong relationship with the Senior Management Team
- Establish and build a strong, effective and constructive working relationship with the Chief Executive, providing support and challenge, and ensuring they are held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives
- Liaise with the Chief Executive to maintain an overview of the Charity’s affairs, providing support as necessary
- Conduct an annual appraisal and remuneration review for the Chief Executive in consultation with other Trustees
- Ensure that the Chief Executive has the opportunity for professional development and has appropriate external professional support
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume, Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form, and a covering letter to Teresa Phiri at Perret Laver via firstname.lastname@example.org. Your covering letter (maximum 2 x A4) should:
- Explain why you are interested in this role;
- Explain how your background and experience make you a suitable candidate – please use examples of specific projects and achievements;
- Show what relevant skills and knowledge you will bring, referring to the person specification.
Please also contact Teresa Phiri at Perret Laver via email@example.com if you have any questions or wish to speak to someone about the role. No agencies please.
Closing date: Monday, 7th June at 9am BST.