YBI's mission is to support young people to start, grow and sustain their businesses – enabling them to create jobs, build communities and transform lives.
Young people are critical to future economic development and key to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. However with 66 million unemployed youth worldwide and 145 million young workers living in poverty, this potential is not being realised. Addressing the youth employment crisis is imperative, not only for the well-being of young people but also to ensure sustainable, inclusive growth and social cohesion globally.
Locally rooted network leading to global impact
Established in 2000, YBI brings together organisations with aligned goals to develop and scale the most effective solutions to the critical challenges facing young entrepreneurs and catalyse positive change in entrepreneurship culture.
Since 2014 we have supported over 95,000 young people to start or grow a business by delivering a range of practical entrepreneurship support services, from guiding a young person to register a new business and improving their bookkeeping skills to helping them write a business plan or grow their fledgling business through facilitating access to finance.
Our expert members
Our 50 members in 48 countries are diverse, ranging from training organisations, microfinance institutions, mentoring specialists to business associations and incubators. Locally rooted and locally led, members combine deep contextual knowledge with YBI’s sector-leading global expertise and tools.
The Network effect
YBI is supported by the Network Team, based in London, UK and Bogotá, Colombia. This small, passionate team are committed to equipping members with the most effective solutions to empower youth with the right tools to start and grow sustainable businesses. As a network, we learn, innovate and influence together to drive impact for young entrepreneurs and their communities.
Our values and team
Our values are embedded in everything we do:
Tenacity - We won’t give up until every young entrepreneur has the opportunity to succeed;
Collaboration – We work together as a team, building trust to connect and empower;
Quality - We strive to set the highest standards in youth entrepreneurship support.
About the role
You will work across the YBI Network Team and with members on a range of projects. Maintaining our reputation as a leading global network requires a highly skilled, knowledgeable, energetic team to manage our internal business functions. As a part of this diverse and talented group of individuals, you can play a vital role in Youth Business International success.
Our vision is for the community to become the digital epicentre of the YBI network, where members from all over the world come to engage and collaborate with other members, share challenges and ideas, and access knowledge resources.
As the Community Manager, you will be the organising brain and the welcoming heart of our global community. You will collaborate with staff across the YBI network team to deliver the community vision, project manage the implementation of new features, and lead on the community roadmap and adoption initiatives that promote a culture of learning and knowledge-sharing across the global YBI network.
The Community Manager has two key purposes: 1) to manage YBI’s new digital community for members, driving continuous improvement and 2) to plan and deliver strategic activities to encourage a high user adoption and engagement rate.
1. Plan and implement a member engagement strategy to grow and energise the global community of Youth Business International;
2. Help community members find their role in the community and build community ambassadors by responding to comments and requests, assisting users when they run into technical problems, building relationships and creating opportunities for engagement;
3. Develop a community content plan incorporating events, discussions, campaigns and exclusive community content that sparks conversations and creates connection among community members;
4. Create and moderate content on the platform, ensuring it is aligned with YBI mission, branding and vision;
5. Provide meaningful reports for discussion and use analysis and performance data to continually enhance the community;
6. Oversee the product roadmap, working closely with our Global Technology Manager and offshore development team to find solutions to bugs, and scope out and implement new features;
7. Manage an external team of designers and developers in India, ensuring the timely, high quality and cost efficient execution and completion of projects in collaboration with the Global Technology Manager;
8. Collaborate with different members of the YBI Network Team to maximise key brand and business opportunities across the year, ensuring that our members are engaged and where possible involved;
9. Lead and contribute to brainstorming sessions, briefings, debriefings and workshops to build relationships, drive member engagement and innovation across the YBI network;
10. Undertake other duties that may from time to time be necessary, that are compatible with the nature and grade of this post.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV (maximum 2 x A4) and a covering letter to HR@youthbusiness.org. Your covering letter (maximum 2 x A4) should:
Closing date: Tuesday, 9th April at 09:30am
Interviews: w/c 15th April 2019
YBI is an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. We are committed to creating a diverse environment therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or ethnic or national origin.
At YBI, your right to privacy and confidentiality is important to us. By applying for this job, your information will be entered into our recruitment system for YBI’s employment purposes only and for no longer than one year after the post has been filled; then personal data will be disposed of in the GDPR compliant manner. We store all data securely and will not disclose it to any third parties without your consent. Please see our Data Protection Policy here to find out more.Apply